Welcome! Anonymous

[Fedora 14] Ugly fonts in Firefox after XULRunner update

A place to ask questions, or discuss anything related to infinality.net stuff.

[Fedora 14] Ugly fonts in Firefox after XULRunner update

Postby m2010m » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:03 am

Hi!
XULRunner has just been updated to version 1.9.2.13-5 on Fedora 14.
After the update, font rendering in Firefox has suddenly become ugly, as you can see from the attached picture.
I'm not sure if this problem is related to your packages, but I think it can be somewhat useful to point it out.

By the way, as for your packages, only fonts-config and freetype-infinality are installed on my system.

Thank you.

Edit:
Mine is just a hypothesis, but the problem maybe depends on how the package xulrunner-1.9.2.13-5.fc14 has been compiled.
It looks like that, while the previous version (i.e. xulrunner-1.9.2.13-2.fc14) had been compiled with the option --enable-system-cairo (see http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xulrunner/1.9.2.13/2.fc14/data/logs/x86_64/build.log), the new version has been compiled with --disable-system-cairo instead (see http://kojipkgs.fedoraproject.org/packages/xulrunner/1.9.2.13/5.fc14/data/logs/x86_64/build.log).
Attachments
xulrunner.png
Ugly fonts in Firefox after XULRunner update
xulrunner.png (146.7 KiB) Viewed 3718 times
m2010m

Re: [Fedora 14] Ugly fonts in Firefox after XULRunner update

Postby r6144 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:21 am

I'm seeing the same. Color fringes have become much more visible.

Oh my. If Fedora begins to build Firefox with bundled cairo, doesn't this mean that we have to build our own Firefox as well, at least until the bundled cairo becomes new enough?
r6144

Postby r6144 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 am

There is a patch for the animated-gif bug from https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=628331#c55, which seems to fix animated gifs for me without resorting to bundled cairo. Seems that there are trademark issues that prevent Fedora from including the patch without approval, but then everybody here should know that any Firefox problem can possibly be related to the Infinality patches rather than being Mozilla's fault, don't we?

Hint: When building that source rpm, change MOZ_SMP_FLAGS in xulrunner.spec appropriately if you have more than two CPU cores. Install the resulting rpm with --force (it is newer than the Firefox package before the fix but older than Fedora's official fix), and add exclude=xulrunner* in /etc/yum.conf for now (but beware of the security implications!).
r6144

Postby Babel » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:29 pm

maybe it will help viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37
Babel

Postby infinality » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:54 pm

Here is a non-ideal, yet extremely simple and quick workaround until enough people complain to the firefox maintainers and they fix it:

Code: Select all
yum downgrade xulrunner firefox

;)
- Linux font rendering has gone from the most reviled to the most renowned.
infinality
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion